Assembly is the main purpose of the power nailer. It is used in the construction of houses, repair and decoration of premises, in furniture production, in the woodworking industry, in the production of containers, in short, wherever there is wood, and you need a nail (big or small, smooth or rusted, black or stainless). It should be said that for finishing work, pins and studs are used as cartridges, which are the least noticeable in finishing surfaces. A punching tool, operating with steel dowels, is excised separately, which, without drilling, are driven into steel, concrete, and brickwork. Here is not a complete list of works that are performed by the neurologists
- Installation of roofing coverings (tile, bitumen tiles, profile and roll materials);
- Fixing of heaters;
- Fastening of communications;
- Assemblage of lathing;
- Installation of brackets, hangers, consoles;
- Installation of finished panels;
- The construction of skeletons of wooden houses;
- Sheathing of carcasses (siding, OSB, chipboard, plywood, GKL, GVL, lining …);
- Fastening of flooring (rough floor, solid board, piece parquet);
- Nailing moldings, glazing beads, skirting boards, cashing;
- Assembling of formwork;
- Erection of stairs;
- Fastening of stretch ceilings;
- Fixation of carpet coverings;
- Manufacturing and furnishing of furniture;
- Fastening of plaster grid;
- Assembly of window and door frames;
- Assembling fences;
- Manufacturing of packing (pallets, boxes, pallets).
The principle of the power nailer is simple. By pulling the trigger (or making a touch with a spout), we transfer the drive energy to the piston, which strikes the nail and pushes it into the base. Then the piston is automatically (!) Withdrawn to its original position, the consumable from the cage or drum is fed into the barrel and everything is repeated again, at a rate of 1-3 shots per second.
We have a number of undeniable advantages, compared to hammering with a hand hammer. There is no damage to the final workpiece (dents, chips), you can accomplish the task with fewer employees (usually one-handed), speed and gross productivity increase 3-4 times, For the change, to score several thousand nails). Disadvantages? There is. Be sure to talk about them.
- 1 Choose a power nailer by drive type
- 2 Choose a power nailer according to the type of consumables and purpose
- 3 Choose a nailer according to additional parameters
Choose a power nailer by drive type
A nail gun is a fairly powerful tool that requires a lot of energy to do the job. Developers have differently approached the solution of this issue, which could not but affect the constructive and operational features of a particular class. It is customary to distinguish the following categories of nyler: pneumatic, gas, powder, electric.
Pneumatic power nailer
This is the most common type of nail guns. A lot of companies produce such a tool, including well-known companies of “wide profile”. In this category, you can find nailers of the most varied types and sizes, starting with the finishing ones (working with thin short studs), ending with giants for assembling skeletons that hook up huge nails up to 220 mm in length and 4-5 mm in diameter (Haubold RN 220R).
For the work of such pistols, compressed air is required, so a compressor is mandatory. But there are usually no special problems here, since the vast majority of assembly units feel normal at a pressure of 4 to 8 bar, which is a traditional indicator for the average inexpensive compressor. Manufacturers, as a rule, indicate the requirements for compressor capacity and the volume of the receiver, and also denote air consumption per shot. Note that there are high-pressure nailers operating at 18-30 bar (for example, HN25C or HN120 from Japanese company MAX Co. Ltd.), which can compete with powder and gas analogues in terms of capacity.
Naturally, a high-pressure hose will be connected to the nyler. This partially hinders the movements of the operator, but modern air ducts have a small weight and good elasticity, they can have a significant length, which significantly alleviates the problem.
The next “unpleasant moment” is a link to the electricity supply, but there are also options. Some manufacturers of power nailers offer rather compact, light and moderately productive models of compressors for their equipment. You can even get a compressor equipped with batteries. For example, TRUSTY TBC-3214 will provide about 30 minutes of continuous operation from a single charge.
- Simplicity and reliability of the nyler;
- Compact body dimensions;
- High speed of operation (about 3 shots per second);
- Low price of a shot (do not need fuel – gas, cartridges);
- Moderate weight of the product (average 1-3 kg.);
- Simplicity in maintenance and operation;
- The ability to work in confined spaces, in wet rooms or in the presence of an explosive environment;
- High power (up to 100 J);
- Low noise and recoil;
- Does not require permission (like a powder gun);
- Low cost of the tool (from $ 100).
- Availability of air hoses
- Power grid connection
- Requires a compressor or compressed air (cylinders)
Gas mounting nailers
This is a class of absolutely mobile nailing tools that use the energy of a gas-air mixture explosion. They act as an analogue of the internal combustion engine. Flammable gas is supplied from the can to the working chamber, where it is mixed with the fan by air, after which the mixture is ignited by a spark of a candle, powered from a regular battery. The energy of the microexplosion is absorbed by the working piston, which also clogs the nail into the base. The power of such machines is quite impressive, which allows them to be used for mounting metal dowels in concrete or metal (direct mounting).
So, for the gas nailer to work, in addition to nails, you also need to buy cans of gas (usually they are sold in one package in strict accordance with “how much gas – as many consumables”), which determines the price of a single shot. As for the strategic reserve, everything is quite good here – the capacity of the battery and gas in the cylinder is enough for a thousand or more shots from a single charge (it all depends on the model and its purpose). For example, the PULSA 700P from Spit gives 700 shots from one bulb and 1,500 shots from the battery charge (one-hour charger), while the pulse power of the “Pulse” is 100 J, and the weight of the unit is 3.6 kg. If you equip a gas nailer to work with nails on wood, then autonomy increases even more (PASLODE CR175C – a battery for 2200 shots, one balloon – for 1000 shots). Frame PASLODE IM 350 PLUS has a power supply that can hit more than 4000 times from one charge.
- Full autonomy of the pistol and good ergonomics (no wires and hoses);
- High impact power, allowing to produce even direct mounting (steel, concrete, brick, wood);
- Moderate weight of the product (2.5-4 kg);
- Does not require permits;
- Ease of maintenance and use;
- Small pressing force for descent and pressing;
- Multifunctionality (powerful model replaces punch, drill, hammer).
- Presence of exhaust gases (need to be able to ventilate the room);
- Periodically need to clean the combustion chamber;
- High price of the shot (it is necessary to pay for gas);
- Enlarged dimensions in comparison with pneumatics;
- It is required to monitor the residual charge of the battery;
- A high price for new technological models (up to $ 1000).
The working energy of the piston-booster receives from the ignition of the charge in the construction cartridge – the principle of operation of this tool is similar to the operation of firearms. The strength of the shot in this case is determined by the selection of the cartridge power (they are usually marked in different colors, they can have different calibers) and the regulation of the exhaust of burning gases. In any case, it is necessary to study the density of the base and test fire. The whole structure is constructed in such a way that the through chamber is excluded – the head of the nail stops at the point of stopping the striker (SPIT P525L). To trigger, the tool must be firmly pressed against the base, only then the fuse is released. The supply of cartridges can be carried out both in automatic mode (cassette feeding – up to 1000 assemblies per hour) and in semiautomatic (cassette-disk feeding of cartridges). There are single-charge machines, universal units can be switched to single mode for working with large nails (SPITFIRE P370).
Depending on the characteristics of the base and the features of the target material, a wide variety of dowels are used: for metal, for concrete, with a wide bonnet, with thread, ready assembling units.
- Large shot power, suitable for direct mounting (300-550 J);
- Complete autonomy in operation (no wires, batteries, compressor and hoses);
- Low weight (actual for imported models);
- High adhesion strength;
- A wide range of used nails.
- Narrow specialization (direct installation only);
- Relative complexity in application (selection of the power of cartridges and the type of dowels, the force of pressing, determination of the limiting interaxal and edge distances …);
- Presence of exhaust;
- Restrictions on work in flammable media;
- Requires regular maintenance (cleaning, replacement of wearing parts);
- High cost of a shot (it is necessary to buy cartridges);
- Two-handed (hold the tool firmly);
- Special permits are needed.
The weakest nailers of all. They are used mainly for finishing, as they work with small-sized consumables – pins and pins. Usually, when it comes to an electric tool, we’re talking about network (Rapid EN50) and battery models. In this case, the mobile tool came to the fore. So widely known was the wireless 18-volt GSK 18 V-LI Professional from Bosch (700 shots on one battery charge, nails length 32-63 mm). The DeWalt DC618KB neuer has proven itself with similar performance characteristics.
- Low cost of a single shot
- Small dimensions of the product, light weight (for network machines)
- Autonomy (for battery models)
- Low noise and vibration
- No exhaust
- Minimal maintenance
- Ease of use
- Weak shot power (limitation on the size of the consumables – up to 65 mm)
- Network dependency
- Restrictions on operation in humid and explosive environments
- Low rate of fire (approximately 1 shot per second)
- Relatively high unit cost
Choose a power nailer according to the type of consumables and purpose
Many manufacturers position their tools as intended for a particular type of work. At the heart of this approach, as a rule, lies the limitation of nailers in the type of consumables, but not only. Note that some nailing machines with ease can solve a wide range of tasks, especially with the use of all kinds of attachments-adapters, which significantly blurs such boundaries. And still…
Frame power nailers
They are used in the arrangement of rough structures and wooden subsystems (floors, frames, battens), so they work relatively large nails capable of nailing parts “through the body” (from 50 to 220 mm). For example, TRUSTY TCN-9130P beats nails in length from 70 to 130 mm, and Haubold RN 220R drives a nail with a length of 220 mm. Consumables for wireframe machines have O-shaped or D-shaped caps and are packed either in a store or in a drum. Each such unit has its own limited range of nail length (for example, 50-90, 90-120, 100-160 mm), which is determined by its power capabilities and given by the size of the cassette / drum.
Coating power nailers
They clog nails length of about 25-75 mm and a fairly wide hat (up to 7.5 mm). With their help fasten sheet materials to wooden frames (OSB, plywood, siding …). In view of the fact that the consumption of nails with the skins of the skeletons is quite impressive, for the supply of consumables, drums are used that accommodate a large number of “cartridges”.
It is a tool designed for mounting moldings, plinths, platbands, glazing beads … Its main feature is that the anchorage point should remain invisible, the part should not have any damage. Therefore, thin, not very long nails with a stainless coating without hats (studs and pins) assembled in a straight or inclined at an angle cassette are used here. In this case, the consumables are fastened on paper or plastic, since the nails collected on the wire leave the burrs from its remains. It should be noted that finishing nailers have a very sensitive adjustment of the depth of clogging and are equipped with rubber elements in the impact part, which protect the part from dents and chips.
Most often, we are talking about pistols for adjusting bituminous shingles, roofing materials, where you need a galvanized, riveted nail with a large head (about 10 mm). The length of the consumables for a soft roof is in the range of 25-50 mm, they are packaged usually in a drum. Roofing machines are also called nailing machines, designed for fixing various kinds of profile tiles. However, these nailers are technically no different from the same shell pistols, except that special adapters can be used to accurately position the tool relative to the attachment points.
Nailers for fixing gypsum cardboard
In the case of a wooden frame work with twisted or zinced nails with a wide bonnet. Their length is in the range of 30-50 mm. MAX has produced an interesting model (HVR41-ST) “nailer screwdriver”, where the screw is screwed in at 0.06 seconds simultaneously and driven into the frame, including metal.
Choose a nailer according to additional parameters
If we have figured out with the purpose and with the appropriate drive type, then we can choose a specific model. To do this, it makes sense to take a closer look at the additional options and design features of the tool that can make life easier for us. Let’s consider the main points:
- A drum or a store? Drum cartridge chambers contain much more consumables (Makita AN621 – up to 300 nails) – an indubitable plus for some types of work, but because of this, the weight of the outfitted product increases and the dimensions are slightly affected. The cassette magazine is better suited for not very productive operations, in this case we will get a gun with excellent ergonomics, especially if the rack is at an angle (the bigger it is, the easier it is to get into the clamped place).
- Adjustment of the depth of plugging is realized by a wheel, button, lever or by moving a spout (Bostitch N89C1). This option is not available in all models, but it is simply necessary for finishing and skinning nailers. In powdery machines it is necessary to select the power of the cartridge.
- Trigger activation type. Not always everything is tied up on the trigger, the shot can be made from both pressing the nozzle, and combined. Perhaps the best option, when there is a choice (Makita AN901).
- The possibility of switching the mode of operation “single / series” (Makita AN901). The queue is good for working with roughing trim, a single blow is better for finishing operations.
- Protection from accidental starting, repeated and idle shot is designed to protect the tool and the workpiece from damage, and the operator from injuries (DeWalt D51855, MAX CN890B). Here, hand fuses are used, automatic contact release systems of the mechanism, protection from a shot at an empty store (for powder), etc.
- Rotary exhaust nozzle (deflector). Due to this solution it is possible to divert the exhaust gases away from the operator (Bostitch N400).
- Convenient (keyless) access to the working area of the tool allows you to quickly remove a jammed nail (Bosch GSN 90-34 DK). To “pick out” the wrong nail in the set, sometimes even there is a special tool.
- Features of the nozzle design. The spider support helps to secure the tool securely and to make the adjustment at an angle. The possibility of connecting plug-in adapters significantly expands the scope of the tool. Rubber removable inserts on the stops protect the workpiece from damage. In some models, the spout is removable, which makes it possible to replace it in case of wear (Bostitch N89).
- Monitoring the state of charges. For the nyler with a battery in the design it is very desirable to have an indication of the level of charge. Some pistols have LED indication of the amount of gas remaining (HILTI GX 120).
- Most nailing tools have a hook for hanging on woods or on a belt, it is convenient if it is a swivel, retractable.
- For the installation of UD-type guide profiles (for gas aggregates), and in many other cases, the accessory foot on the body (PULSA 700P, HILTI GX 120) will be very useful.
- Special attention should be given to the quality of the housing (ribs of the stiffness, protective inserts) and the characteristics of the damper and anti-slip linings. The minimum of noise, vibration and feedback is our goal.
- A clear advantage for nyler with batteries will be the presence of two batteries (Dynamik CN60-688ES) and a fast charger.
- A longer store (for rack guns) is less distracting for recharging, which is very sensitive when you work on scaffolds or on stairs. It is worth paying attention to how easy the magazine / drum is charging.
Here we are, in fact, and sorted out with nailing techniques – there are many nuances, yes. I would also like to note that the main criterion of choice is still the type of the required for your needs consumables (nails, pins, dowels). Before buying a tool, find out if there are any problems with the supplies of the original equipment, calculate the cost of a single shot (especially for gas and powder models), deal with all operational limitations. If you competently approach the issue of choice, then curbing the overseas beast is easy, the right nyler will please you with its performance for more than one year.